|"The Underground Complex"|
|Realm||Hawkins National Laboratory|
|Area in square Tiles||138|
|Area in m2||8832|
|Minimum # of Hooks||7|
|Maximum # of Hooks||14|
Probability WeightCoefficient representing a probability the map will be selected for trial
The Underground Complex or "Laboratory" is the only Map in the Hawkins National Laboratory Realm.
With the retraction of the Stranger Things Chapter after 17 November 2021, the Map and its associated Realm have been removed from the Game.
Located below the Hawkins National Laboratory, this underground complex released dozens of inter-dimensional creatures in November of 1983, before the rift was sealed.
The site kept some vestiges of its past as the mental health institute, including a mouldy isolation tank used by patients suffering from acute anxiety that was later modernised for mind control experimentation on promising test subjects.
Now the walls of the abandoned facility are sprayed with bullets and blood, evidence of a battle against inter-dimensional creatures.
The Rift Lab
The Rift Lab was the main Landmark on The Underground Complex Map.
- The Rift Lab potentially contained a Generator on the Upper Floor.
- The Rift Lab potentially contained a Hook beside the staircase to the Upper Floor.
- The Rift Lab contained multiple Lockers on the Lower Floor.
- The Rift Lab potentially contained a Chest .
- The Rift Lab potentially contained a Totem .
- The Rift Lab potentially contained an entrance to the Basement .
The Rift Lab consisted of two floors:
The Upper Floor could be accessed by going up a staircase.
- The Lower Floor consisted of a closed Lab Room, and the Rift, a portal to the Upside Down.
- The Upper Floor featured multiple drop-offs.
The Interrogation Rooms
The Interrogation Rooms were the secondary Landmark on The Underground Complex Map.
The Interrogation Rooms were all located on the Upper Floor of the Map.
There were various vaults in the Rooms.
Some potential Pallets could spawn over there.
- In the Game files The Underground Complex was referred to as "Lab".
- The Underground Complex was the first Map to feature Exit Doors instead of Exit Gates .
- The main reasoning for this was the low ceiling of the Map preventing the Developers from placing proper Exit Gates.
- The opening animation was very different from Exit Gates too: both sides of the door slid to the sides and a metallic plate behind the door rose upwards.
- It was possible to see the Upside Down inside the Exit Doors.
- Similarly to the Map The Game, several Generators would open connected sliding doors upon completion.
- Even though The Underground Complex was at the time the Map covering the smallest surface area, its numerous catwalks remedied that, making its actual play-able size similarly to Coal Tower or Rancid Abattoir.
- There was a hidden room behind a closed, metal door located in the Rift Lab (one of the two possible locations of the Basement staircase).
It could only be accessed by The Nurse by blinking into the wall at that location, and only if the Basement staircase had spawned at the other location.
- There were four dead scientists in the room, each one with a bottle in their hands.
There were also two cooling-crates with additional bottles scattered throughout the room, and a monitor and a PC on the floor.
The main element of the room was a whiteboard with the following writings/drawings on it:
This referred to the abbreviation for the then still relatively recent mechanic of the Endgame Collapse .
- "[Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s1"
This referred to the electron configuration of the element Gold (Au).
- A drawing of a molecule
This referred to the molecule formed by combining "terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol", which forms a compound "ethylene terephthalate", commonly referred to as "Polyester".
- This was a reference to the YouTube Content Creator Paulie Esther, who was known for diving deep into Dead by Daylight's secrets.
- The hidden room was added as a clue to the location of the Golden Toolbox as well.