|Game Alias(es)||"The Druanee"|
|Gender||Not applicable (not human)|
|Nationality||None (Manifestation of Malthink)|
|Power||Reign of Darkness|
|Power Attack Type||Basic Attack|
|Movement Speed||115 % | 4.6 m/s|
|Terror Radius||32 metres|
|DLC||Roots of Dread|
|Voice Actor||Roxana B.L., Maude Théberge, Vanessa Landry, Misha Standjofski, Philippe Langelier, Sébastien Croteau (The Monster Factory)|
|Terror Radius Music|
It was introduced as the Killer of CHAPTER 24: Roots of Dread, a Chapter DLC released on 7 June 2022.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Lore
- 3 Load-out
- 4 Achievements
- 5 Cosmetic Options
- 6 DLC
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
The Dredge is a manifestation of the dark thoughts of a once-vibrant community, able to teleport between Lockers and summon an overwhelming darkness.
Difficulty Rating: Moderate
(These Killers require the Player to be comfortable with the basics of the role, though they share common mechanics with easier ones)
The Fold was founded on a private American island in the 1960s by a group of anonymous philanthropists. Their goal was to establish a peaceful society free of dark thoughts and emotions, attracting the dismayed, disenchanted, and disillusioned from all over the country.
This peace-loving community thrived over the years, and members freely followed the dictates of its charismatic leader Otto Stamper who taught his followers the secret of maintaining happiness through joy-talk, meditation, and the endless reciting of 'good-thinking' mantras.
But not all was bliss within The Fold, and Otto swiftly banished anyone who confessed to having dark thoughts or speaking dark words. Those he appointed as guardians of The Fold were quick to root out malcontents, banishing anyone who thought or spoke against the almost perfect community he had established.
Life was more or less a Utopian dream on the island until, that is, the darkness began to slowly leak through the cracks of their spiritual dam and members began to mysteriously disappear.
It wasn't long before fear closed its septic jaws on the island and refused to let go.
The once happy community now gathered in a few homes chanting all the 'good-thinking' mantras in a desperate attempt to rid their lives of this formless creature that seemed to stalk them in the shadows and consume them in their sleep.
Otto tried to quell his followers, telling them that there were malcontents among their ranks and that they alone had summoned the Druanee to their Garden of Joy.
As The Fold bleated fear, Otto evoked desperate measures. Ottomarians were restricted to their homes to prevent the spread of rumours and dark-talk while sleep was forbidden to prevent anyone from releasing dark dreams into the world. Freedom and sleep would return just as soon as the Druanee was no longer upon them.
But when Ottomarians continued to disappear, Otto assembled his followers near the beach where he placed a screaming woman on a wooden stage. There, in the rain, Otto explained to his drenched, alienated, and sleep-deprived congregation that the woman was a journalist here to destroy everything they had created.
As the guardians held the trembling woman, she screamed that Otto wasn't the savior he claimed to be. He belonged to an ancient cult, an exclusive club of billionaires that took pleasure in corrupting and sacrificing people, towns and even countries to an Elder God. The journalist told them Otto hadn't banished anyone! He had tortured and sacrificed them and that they would all be next.
Without hesitation, Otto slit her throat before she could continue to spread lies. As she collapsed to her knees with her hands clasped around her neck, he told his confused and terrified herd that she was working with others within their ranks and that the needed to find the impostors before the Druanee came for them all.
Otto's words shot over the congregation and reached into the murky recesses of their hearts and dredged up dark and fearful things.
Years of suppressed emotions began to bubble up as a thick fog pushed through restless legs and feet. Whispers began, and the whispers became panicked mantras, and the mantras became screams and curses as each member accused the next of malthinking and malspeaking.
Over the howling wind and pounding rain, the screams and curses grew louder and louder as everyone desperately tried to contain the darkness within. But the harder they tried, the quicker they ailed, and within moments the dam burst to release a torrent of hell.
Otto watched his once blissful and joyful herd suddenly erupt into violence unlike anything he had ever seen before. The Fold bleated accusations and tore each other to bits and pieces with hands and teeth and never once did they look up to see their kind and charismatic shepherd smiling down upon them with eyes that were cold, bleak and without pity.
When it was all over, Otto felt the creaking, wooden stage shake as a murder of crows circled above. Suddenly, the ground rose and then sank into a thick, oozing black mud like molasses. Moments later, a formless mass squelched out of the muck and rose like a rearing horse to feed upon the writhing mass of butchered humanity.
It was everywhere and nowhere at once as it slowly picked its way through the carnage, absorbing the darkness, savouring the misery, trailing terrible noises. Shrieks. Cries. Whimpers. Pops. Cracks.
Otto watched the creature as it slowly began to manifest into the very thing he had imagined—the very thing he had made them all imagine.
It turned slowly to look at Otto for a long silent moment, then the Druanee trudged away through the thick black sludge, disappearing into the shadows from which it had come.
The Dredge comes with 3 Perks that are unique to it:
Everything turns to dust. It is as inescapable as the coming of the night.
3 seconds after injuring a Survivor by any means, Dissolution activates for 12/16/20 seconds:
In your presence, places once thought to be safe are perhaps the most dangerous.
Darkness Revealed has a cool-down of 30 seconds.
The Land of the Shadows subsumes all. Healing only delays the inevitable.
Progressing through The Dredge's Bloodweb will spawn their Teachable Variant at specific Levels:
Obtaining the Teachable Perks will unlock them to spawn in the Bloodwebs of all other Killers.
Weapon: Knotted Appendage
The Knotted Appendage is the Primary Weapon of The Dredge.
Some of the body parts formed into a crude and horrifying weapon.
Power: Reign of Darkness
|Like a dark thought, The Dredge is difficult to shake.
And when night falls, it is nearly impossible.
REIGN OF DARKNESS:
Start the Trial with 3 Tokens.
Press and hold the Power button to activate The Gloaming.
Aim at a Locker and press the Ability button to teleport into it or press the Attack button to return to the Remnant.
The Remnant is disabled when teleporting to a Locker or when a Survivor touches it.
While in a Locker, aim at any other Locker and press the Ability button to teleport again.
Each teleportation consumes 1 Token.
Exiting the Locker or returning to the Remnant will activate The Gloaming's cool-down of 12 seconds, after which all Tokens are replenished.
SPECIAL INTERACTION: GRABBING SURVIVORS
If The Dredge teleports into a Locker that happens to have a Survivor hiding inside it or is in the process of entering it, The Dredge will automatically grab them and leave the Locker with the Survivor on its shoulder.
SPECIAL INTERACTION: LOCKING LOCKERS
At the start of the Trial, every Locker spawns with an open latch on its doors.
Survivors can walk up to any Locker and close that latch, locking it for The Dredge, but also for other Survivors.
This can be done once per Trial for every Locker.
The latch cannot be closed when another Survivor is hiding inside the Locker.
When The Dredge teleports into a locked Locker, it will slow it down while exiting it.
After breaking free, the lock breaks.
The Dredge can break the latch of locked Lockers from the outside by walking up to it and performing a Basic Attack.
Attempting to lock the Locker The Dredge is currently inside of will cause The Dredge to immediately grab the Survivor.
The same applies when attempting to enter that Locker or generally interacting with it in any way.
SPECIAL ABILITY: NIGHTFALL
Whenever a healthy Survivor is injured, a Survivor is hooked, or The Dredge uses its teleportation power, the Nightfall Meter builds.
The Nightfall Meter fills faster for each Survivor in the Injured State .
Once the Nightfall Meter is full, Nightfall begins automatically, forcing Survivors to navigate in near-total darkness.
Nightfall ends after 60 seconds.
Survivors destroying the Remnant will reduce that time.
During Nightfall, The Dredge benefits from the following effects:
- Teleportation to and between Lockers is faster and with a shorter cool-down of 4 seconds.
- Grants the Undetectable Status Effect.
- Charging/Holding Reign of Darkness: 3.68 m/s
- Walking: 4.6 m/s
- Teleportation speed during Daytime: 12 m/s
- Teleportation speed during Nightfall: 38 m/s
- Cool-down time during Daytime: 12 seconds
- Cool-down time during Nightfall: 4 seconds
- Activation time: 0.5 seconds
- Fade-in / Fade-out time for Remnant: 0.25 seconds
- Grabbing Survivor in teleported-to Locker: 3 seconds
- Minimum distance to hooked Survivors: 12 metres
- Minimum distance to Locker: 3 metres
- Exit Locker duration: 3 seconds
- Locker FOV: 120 °
- Killer Instinct radius during Nightfall: 16 metres
- Killer Instinct Linger duration: 3 seconds
- Warning Sound threshold: 8 seconds
- This refers to how long The Dredge can hide in a Locker before the warning sound triggers.
- Prevent Locker-Search cool-down: 1.25 seconds
- Activation threshold: 300 Charges
- This refers to how many Charges must be accumulated for Nightfall to start.
- Hiding in Locker as The Dredge: +6 c/s
- Number of injured or dying Survivors in Trial:
- 0 Survivors: +0.25 c/s
- 1 Survivor: +1 c/s
- 2 Survivors: +2 c/s
- 3 Survivors: +3 c/s
- 4 Survivors: +4 c/s
- Hitting a Survivor with a Basic Attack: +20 Charges
- Hooking a Survivor: +20 Charges
- Teleporting back to the Remnant: +10 Charges
- Nearing Activation threshold: 85 %
- This refers to how much Nightfall must be charged for the game to consider Nightfall nearing its activation for effects.
- Transition time to Nightfall: 3 seconds
- Discharging threshold: 60 Charges
- This refers to how many Charges must be discharged in order for Nightfall to end.
- Discharge rate: -1 c/s
- Transition time to Daytime: 1.5 seconds
During Nightfall, to counteract the darkness, the Survivors show special visual effects on their model, akin to an Aura, which cannot be read through objects, however.
This effect has the following requirements for it to be seen:
- Survivor to other Survivor minimum distance: 1 metre
- Survivor to other Survivor maximum distance: 40 metres
- Killer to Survivor minimum distance: 0.1 metres
- Killer to Survivor maximum distance: 40 metres
- Maximum visibility distance: 40 metres
- This refers to the maximum distance away a Survivor or Killer can be seen from another Survivor during Nightfall; however, this is overridden by the sphere of darkness Survivors suffer from during Nightfall.
- Sphere of Darkness radius: 18 metres
- The Dredge's maximum view distance: 70 metres
- This refers to the maximum distance at which The Dredge can see Survivors at.
- Survivors' maximum view distance: 50 metres
- This refers to the maximum distance at which Survivors can see other Characters at.
Add-ons for Reign of Darkness
|Wooden Plank||A wooden plank torn from the stage where Otto Stamper sacrificed a meddling journalist.
|Mortar and Pestle||Disconnected from the world and modern medicine, Stamper's followers originally had to make do with the flora local to the island.
|Follower's Cowl||They believed the cowls proved their enlightenment, but they merely kept them in darkness.
|Caffeine Tablets||Stamper's followers were told not to sleep, or they would bring the wrath of Druanee upon them.|
Towards the end, he brought in drugs from the mainland.
|Malthinker's Skull||Those who brought negativity to the commune would mysteriously disappear from time to time.|
Their remains were never found... until The Dredge brought them up.
|Haddie's Calendar||She planned to cross out each day until her parents took her to India, but when tragedy struck, she abandoned her calendar.
|Fallen Shingle||After the Ottomarians were subsumed by The Dredge, the mansion fell into disrepair.
|Burnt Letters||Some followers tried to write letters home.|
Stamper ensured that nobody would have contact with the outside world.
|Air Freshener||After her parents were found, this was in the bag of belongings the police returned.|
Haddie does not know why she keeps it.
|Worry Stone||While the Ottomarians were told to think only positive thoughts, some kept these stones in their pockets to rub when negative thoughts arose.|
|War Helmet||While investigating an Overlap in the Alps, she found an abandoned war bunker.|
She took a helmet from it after the Overlap nearly took her.
|Ottomarian Writing||The words of Otto Stamper were the only words available for his followers to read, decrying malthink and malspeak.
|Destroyed Pillow||While not allowed to sleep, leaders amongst the Ottomarians tore sleeping supplies to shreds to prevent malthinkers from sneaking off to nap.
|Broken Doll||Followers brought their families to live in a utopia.|
None of them were spared.
|Tilling Blade||The island was self-sufficient, and followers tilled the tough soil to grow crops during the warm season.
"Like a predatory beast, it can smell and track blood."
|Lavalier Microphone||She kept a lavalier mic nearby, allowing her to record her innermost feelings when under great stress.|
|Field Recorder||Haddie documented all of her forays near Overlaps, to prove not only to the world but herself what she saw and felt.|
|Boat Key||Only one boat allowed people on and off the island, and the keys were hidden away to prevent deserters.
|Sacrificial Knife||When a journalist attempted to warn the Ottomarians of Stamper's true task, he slit her throat as a warning to any dissenters.
"There are imposters amongst you! They intend to destroy our perfect home with dark thoughts. Find them and bring them to me!" — Otto Stamper
|Iridescent Wooden Plank||Once the journalist's blood stained the wooden boards of the stage, everything was set into motion for The Dredge's arrival.
"She came here to poison your minds with fear! Do not let the fear in!" — Otto Stamper
- Main article: Achievements
There are 2 Achievements related to The Dredge:
|Adept Dredge||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Dredge using only its Unique Perks: Dissolution , Darkness Revealed & Septic Touch .|
|Bump in the Night||With The Dredge , down 50 Survivors during Nightfall.|
Players can choose from a variety of Cosmetic options to customise The Dredge:
|Glittering Mass||Event||Even in the dark of night, its body glistened with gold.||Masquerade Colors||Twisted Masquerade Collection||Twisted Masquerade Event||Level 1|
|Golden Limb||Event||Whatever force embellished it with gold turned the end of its arm into a beautiful but deadly blade.||Masquerade Colors||Twisted Masquerade Collection||Twisted Masquerade Event||Level 1|
- Main Article: Downloadable Content
The Dredge is part of 1 DLC:
- The Dredge is the fourth non-human Killer introduced to Dead by Daylight, acting as a manifestation of the creature Otto Stamper warned his cult-members from.
- However, The Dredge is the first non-humanoid Killer, as all previous Killers resemble a human shape.
- The Dredge is described as a Druanee in its Lore, but in real-life mythology, would actually be an "Egregore".
- An "Egregore" is an entity described in the Book of Enoch, an ancient Hebrew text, that describes it as "an autonomous psychic entity that is composed of and influencing the thoughts of a group of people", which in Dead by Daylight is the cult led by Otto Stamper.
- The Dredge's Lore is heavily intertwined with Otto Stamper, an Unseen Character that was previously mentioned in the Lore of The Doctor , as Stamper was Herman Carter's mentor at Léry's Memorial Institute.
- The horse head that occasionally drops out of The Dredge's body when idling in the Lobby is "Maurice", The Clown's horse that can be seen on Father Campbell's Chapel.
The Developers reused his asset for The Dredge, deliberately letting Maurice's head fall onto its left side, in order to hide the burnt half of Maurice's head, making it more difficult to recognise him.
- Since every Killer's model is split into three parts for the sake of Cosmetics, The Dredge's rather unusual model causes its splits to be unique.
- The right appendage, holding its Weapon, is considered its head piece.
- The central amalgam with the "head" is considered its body piece.
- The left appendage, acting as both "hand" and "foot", is considered its leg piece.
- The Dredge has the most accredited voice actors and actresses of any Killer to date, mostly due its sound design encompassing crowds of wailing souls.
All of the voice actors and actresses are from The Monster Factory and several of them have previously voiced Characters in Dead by Daylight already: