|Game Alias(es)||"The Onryō"
|Power||Deluge of Fear|
|Power Attack Type||Basic Attack|
|Weapon||Ring of Fury|
|Movement Speed||115 % | 4.6 m/s|
|Terror Radius||24 metres|
|Lullaby Radius||24 metres (Otherworld)|
|DLC||CHAPTER 23: Sadako Rising|
|Terror Radius Music|
She was introduced as the Killer of CHAPTER 23: Sadako Rising, a Chapter DLC released on 8 March 2022.
She originates from the 1991 Horror Novel franchise, Ring (Japanese: リング, Ringu).
The Onryō is a vengeful ghost imbued with the power of Nensha, the Onryō is able to silently and invisibly traverse the Realm, manifesting when she is ready to strike.
Difficulty Rating: Hard
(These Killers use mechanics that are specific to them and require more practice to be effective)
A powerful and lethal onryō, Sadako Yamamura was the daughter of a famed seer from Izu Oshima, Japan.
Her mother left many questions unanswered. In her hometown, sailors disliked the way her mother would spend days on the beach, her eyes fixed on the foaming waves of the sea. Some said, frolic in brine, goblins be thine--if you keep playing in the water, the monster will come for you.
Nine months later, Sadako was born. As a child, her immense powers seemed impossible to control and flared in anger. This became apparent when she was unable to control her rage during a public demonstration of her mother’s powers. When a journalist called her mother a fraud, Sadako’s powers surged, and the journalist collapsed on the floor, struck dead.
Then everything went wrong. Her mother passed away and shortly after Sadako was lured to an old, crumbling well. As she leaned over the rim, a long shadow fell over her. She turned and a sudden jolt of pain hit her over the head, cracking it open. Her vision dimmed and her mind swirled into unconsciousness. She felt two hands pushing her over the rim.
Pain exploded in her skull as she hit the cold ground. A grinding noise came from above and the well darkened, all light obscured like a midday eclipse.
Every inch of her body screamed in pain. Looking up, she saw the only way out. She dug her nails into the muddy ground and slowly crawled toward the cobbled wall. She gripped the stones to climb but had neither hold nor strength. Each time she clawed up a few inches, her nails slid against the wet wall and she slipped down. Her fingers gushed with blood as the coarse cobblestone tore off her nails and lacerated the flesh underneath. And yet she tried, again and again.
Decades later, the meadow became a resort, and a log cabin was built above the well. When a visitor rented the cabin, Sadako found an opportunity for revenge. She summoned all her nensha power and projected a terrible curse on a videotape that killed its viewer after seven days.
Her wrath was like the tides of a stormy sea, violent and unforgiving. As she plunged into a fury, a dark fog coiled at her feet. The sound of crashing waves echoed through the old stone well.
Suddenly, a tidal surge came crashing down on the cabin's walls, wrecking its logs into a torrent of mud and filth. The black current flooded the well underneath and swallowed Sadako at once.
When she opened her eyes, she stood on a desolate beach facing a vast, stormy ocean. A thick, black fog caressed the water's surface.
Sadako walked into a coming wave and slowly disappeared into the opaque fog.
The Onryō comes with 3 Perks that are unique to her:
|Scourge Hook: Floods of Rage|
You form a psychic connection with The Entity and alter the rules of the Trial.
At the start of the Trial, 4 random Hooks are changed into Scourge Hooks:
Each time a Survivor is unhooked from a Scourge Hook, the following effects apply:
|Call of Brine|
Your psychic abilities influence technology in devastating ways.
After damaging a Generator, Call of Brine activates for 60 seconds.
Prestiging The Onryō will automatically add Tier I of her Unique Perks to the inventories of all other Killers and unlock the ability for their higher-tiered versions to spawn in their Bloodweb.
Prestige The Onryō twice more to automatically add Tier II and Tier III respectively into the other Killers' inventories.
Weapon: Ring of Fury
The Ring of Fury is the Primary Weapon of The Onryō.
Her thirst for vengeance remained and nothing could stop her flooding rage.
Power: Deluge of Fear
|Through the medium of a mysterious videotape, Sadako spreads her curse to unwitting viewers and causes their untimely deaths.|
Before Manifesting, The Onryō gains the Undetectable Status Effect and is invisible to Survivors, but becomes intermittently visible when within 24 metres of them.
SPECIAL ABILITY: MANIFESTATION
The Onryō must physically manifest to attack Survivors.
Press and hold the Power button to Manifest into material form in your current location.
For a brief duration after Manifesting, The Onryō will continue to be intermittently visible to Survivors when within 24 metres.
Afterwards, she will be fully visible within 24 metres for as long as she remains Manifested.
The Onryō can Demanifest by pressing and holding the Power button again.
SPECIAL ABILITY: PROJECTION
The Onryō can also take material form by Projecting herself through a TV .
Press the Ability button while looking at a powered TV to Project into it, shutting off the TV in the process and automatically Manifesting yourself.
All Survivors within 16 metres of the TV gain Condemned progress.
SPECIAL INTERACTION: RETRIEVE TAPE / TURN-OFF TV
Survivors can walk up to any TV to retrieve its VHS Tape , which turns off that TV temporarily.
Holding a VHS Tape, they can walk up to any other TV and turn it off temporarily too.
These interactions, however, come at the cost of adding Condemned progress to the Survivor.
Survivors also passively gain Condemned progress over time when holding a VHS Tape.
Retrieving the VHS Tape procs a Loud Noise Notification, revealing the location of a TV, whose Aura is highlighted to the Survivor.
This TV allows the Survivor to spread The Onryō's message by inserting the VHS Tape into it.
Doing so removes some Condemned progress.
- Walking: 4.6 m/s
- Demanifesting: 4.6 m/s
- Manifesting: 3.68 m/s
- Post-Projection Boost: 6.9 m/s
- Duration: 1.5 seconds
- Condemned threshold: 7 Stacks
- Post-Projection Condemnation: +1 Stack
- This refers to when a Survivor is within 16 metres of a TV when The Onryō projects to it.
- Penalty for turning off a TV: +1 Stack
- Penalty for retrieving a Tape: +1 Stack
- Bonus for reinserting a Tape: -3 Stacks
- Killer Instinct duration: 6 seconds
- Charge time: 25 seconds per Stack
- Post-Chase Distance buffer: 16 metres
- Post-Chase Timer buffer: 6 seconds
- This refers to how long after a Chase the Killer must be farther than 16 metres away from the Survivor before passive Condemnation resumes.
- Turn-off Cool-down: 60 seconds
- This refers to how long a TV is unusable for The Onryō after a Survivor retrieved the Tape from it.
- Tape-play Cool-down: 60 seconds
- This refers to how long a TV is unusable for The Onryō after a Survivor played a Tape on it.
- Initial Cool-down: 30 seconds
- Post-Projection Cool-down: 100 seconds
- This refers to for how long a TV is unusable for The Onryō after she projected to it.
- Distance to play Tape: 16 metres
- This refers to how close a Survivor must be for the TV to start playing the Tape.
- Distance threshold to Generator: 16 metres
- If a TV spawns within this threshold, the Game will attempt to spawn the next TV further away than usual.
- Repower all TVs if the last one is turned off: deactivated feature
- Minimum distance: 32 metres
- Maximum distance: 76 metres
- Interaction Confirmation time: 0.3 seconds
- This refers to how long The Onryō must initiate Projection in order to commit to a teleportation.
- Teleportation time: 2.7 seconds
- Cancellation Cool-down: 0.5 seconds
- Maximum angle: 45 °
- Post-Projection Speed Boost duration: 1.5 seconds
- Condemnation radius: 16 metres
- This refers to how far out from the TV Survivors will receive Condemnation from The Onryō teleporting.
- Time to turn-off TV: 0.5 seconds
- Time to insert/retrieve Tape: 2 seconds
- De-/Manifestation Charge time: 1.5 seconds
- Demanifestation Cool-down time: 1.25 seconds
- Lingering Flicker-State duration: 4 seconds
- Lingering Undetectable Status Effect duration: 1 second
- Otherworld Visible duration: 1.5 seconds
- Otherworld Invisible duration: 1 second
- Lingering Visible duration: 0.5 seconds
- Lingering Invisible duration: 0.75 seconds
Add-ons for Deluge of Fear
|Videotape Copy||A copy of the deadly videotape imprinted upon by Sadako.|
It dampens the desire for vengeance.
|Old Newspaper||It tells of a local woman who predicted a volcanic eruption, evidence used to initially find Sadako.
|Mother's Mirror||A mirror from Sadako's mother's house.|
A reminder of what Sadako has lost.
|Cabin Sign||The cabin where both Tomoko and Reiko watched the tape.|
Carries the memory of those first curses.
|Yoichi's Fishing Net||The net Yoichi used while fishing with his grandfather.|
A reminder that death comes to us all.
|Well Stone||A piece of the well where Sadako was trapped, an image burned into the mind of all those who have watched the tape.
|Sea-Soaked Cloth||The hood worn by the mysterious figure in the tape.|
Makes those near it unable to trust what they see.
|Reiko's Watch||The watch that Reiko left her son Yoichi.|
A distracting and constant reminder of one's impending doom.
|Clump of Hair||Once beautiful and long, Sadako now hides behind her ragged, matted locks.
|Well Water||Water from the well where Sadako was left to die.|
Murky and black, it obscures everything around it.
|Ring Drawing||A drawing of the view from inside the well, as drawn by a young Yoichi.|
Helping those cursed by the tape can only bring misfortune.
|Rickety Pinwheel||A pinwheel found in the caves of Izu Oshima.|
It spins even when there is no wind, disorienting those who see or hear it.
|Mother's Comb||The comb Sadako's mother used in the tape.|
Sadako's psychic abilities are enhanced when she focuses on it.
|Bloody Fingernails||Sadako's bloody fingernails, lost as she tried to claw her way out of the well.|
Evidence of her single-minded need to kill.
|VCR||The original VCR that played Sadako's tape.|
It is still warm to the touch.
|Telephone||After watching the video, victims receive a phone call.|
They are frozen in fear as they realise they have seven days left to live.
"I saw a weird video the other day... after it ended, someone called us. Some kind of prank call." — Tomoko Oishi
|Tape Editing Deck||The editing deck used by Reiko and Ryuji to analyse and copy the tape.|
Copying and sharing the tape is the only way to survive the curse.
"Frolic in brine, goblins be thine." — Message hidden in Sadako's tape
|Distorted Photo||Those who have watched the tape find all photos of themselves distorted, a reminder of their impending doom.
"Why is it only you were saved?" — Sadako Yamamura
|Remote Control||A remote for the VCR at the cabin.|
It allows Sadako to focus on those enemies at a distance.
"She killed a man just by willing him dead. That's power of a different order from her mother." — Ryuji Takayama
|Iridescent Videotape||The original tape containing Sadako's curse.
"That video... It's not of this world. It's Sadako's rage." — Ryuji Takayama
- Main article: Achievements
There are 2 Achievements related to The Onryō:
|Adept Onryō||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Onryō using only her Unique Perks: Scourge Hook: Floods of Rage , Call of Brine & Merciless Storm .|
|Viral Video||Apply Condemned on Survivors a total of 30 times.|
Players can choose from a variety of Cosmetic options to customise The Onryō:
|Rotten Remains||Ultra Rare||She dug her nails into the muddy ground and slowly crawled toward the cobbled wall inside the well. She gripped the stones to climb but had no hold or strength.||One-piece Outfit||Bottomless Well||
|8 March 2022|
- Main Article: Downloadable Content
The Onryō is part of 1 DLC:
- The Onryō can still be blinded by Survivors when she is Demanifested.
- Score Events that require a recent Manifestation to trigger track that state for 8 seconds
- The Onryō is the first and to date only Killer to have her height be designated as "Short".
- The Onryō is the first and to date only Killer that does not use an object or her own fists to injure Survivors.
She conjures the glyph 呪 (Kanji meaning "Curse"), which she projects forward and uses to injure Survivors with.
- In her outfit Rotten Remains her conjured glyph symbol changes from 呪 to 恨 (Kanji meaning "Resentment").
- She is also the first Killer and to date the only Killer that does not touch the survivor in any way.
- She is also the first liscensed Killer to have their weapon be created entirely for Dead by Daylight.
- The Onryō's last name, Yamamura (山村), consists of the characters yama (山), meaning "mountain", and mura (村), meaning "town" or "village". As such, her last name can be roughly translated to "Mountain Village".
- The Onryō is the fourth Killer to have a Lullaby, which is active whenever she is Demanifested.
- When idling in the menu or levelling up her Bloodweb, The Onryō will occasionally jumpscare the Player by swiftly teleporting up close to the camera and staring at the Player.
- If the Player turns The Onryō around to prevent the jumpscare, she will instantly turn herself back to face the camera for the jumpscare, then return to the position the Player left her facing.
- The cursed video plays on a TV whenever a Survivor is within range to be Condemned by The Onryō teleporting to it, otherwise they just play static.
This can be used to gauge a Survivor's whereabouts if they are stealthy.
- The Onryō, in a technical sense, is the fifth Killer to have 2 Memento Mori animations.
- The Onryō is the second Killer to have 2 entirely different Moris.
- The Onryō's default Mori features her lifting the Survivor up with telekinetic powers, breaking their right arm, then left leg, and dropping them to the ground as she stares into their eyes.
- The Onryō's Inexorable Stare features her simply staring into the Survivors eyes and giving them a heart attack.
- The Onryō's Inexorable Stare is a reference to how she kills her victims in the films.
- The Onryō is the second Killer whose character power directly allows her to mori Survivors without the use of Add-ons or a Mori Offering.
- The Onryō can perform her Mori ability on Survivors, when available, regardless of how many times the Survivor has been hooked during the Trial.
For more, go to Onryō's Gallery