|I awoke to find myself in this strange place. I have no memory of how I came here.|
|~ Benedict Baker|
|Every place feels mysterious, yet is somehow the same. Every time I wake up I shiver with fear for what new nightmare awaits. Each departure from the campfire is into confusion. Slowly I learn the different places, recognising features and buildings but I never really understand the pattern. As if some powerful force is shuffling the world as if we were a deck of cards. Maybe we are just pawns on a scrabble board?|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal|
The Realms are semi-procedural locations within the World of The Entity . Each Realm was the site of a violent tragedy in the past and they now serve as the Arenas for The Entity's trials.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Lore
- 3 Realms & Maps
- 3.1 The MacMillan Estate
- 3.2 Autohaven Wreckers
- 3.3 Coldwind Farm
- 3.4 Crotus Prenn Asylum
- 3.5 Haddonfield
- 3.6 Backwater Swamp
- 3.7 Léry's Memorial Institute
- 3.8 Red Forest
- 3.9 Springwood
- 3.10 Gideon Meat Plant
- 3.11 Yamaoka Estate
- 3.12 Ormond
- 3.13 Hawkins National Laboratory
- 3.14 Grave of Glenvale
- 3.15 Silent Hill
- 3.16 Recurring Locations
- 4 Sub-Realms
- 5 Other Maps
- 6 Tile Sizes
- 7 Realm Nature Guide
- 8 Trivia
The location of the trial is chosen by The Entity. Players can influence The Entity's choice by burning certain Offerings .
Trial locations have certain fixed landmarks, but elements such as player starting locations, Generators , Chests Lockers , Totems and Exit Gates are placed to The Entity's whims. Even the terrain itself shifts from trial to trial.
There are currently 15 Realms and 35 Maps featured in Dead by Daylight .
The Realms are pockets within The Entity, who constructs everything from itself except for the Killers and the Survivors. The Realms do not co-exist at all times, but are rather created whenever needed. The location of The Campfire is also located within such a pocket. The Woods and Fog beyond the Trial grounds represent the boundaries of the pocket and are just a façade.
Realms & Maps
Sub-Realms are usually different planes of existence within the Realm of The Entity. There are currently 6 known Sub-Realms:
Over the course of Dead by Daylight's existence, several either unreleased or unused Maps have been found in the Game files.
It is not known whether they will be released at some point or be removed from the code eventually.
Maps listed in gold can (still) be found in the Game code, Maps in fuchsia have been removed over time.
Their names are generally WIP names of Maps and a Map's actual name upon release would likely be different:
- The MacMillan Estate
- Seb's Dream
- Crotus Prenn Asylum
- Infinite Gym
- Backwater Swamp
- Dead Lake
- Grim Gully
- The square Tiles used for measuring reference are actually 8x8 sub-tiles, making up the larger tile assets used to construct the Maps with.
- The Game uses 3 combinations of (Master) Tiles: 16x16, 16x32 or 32x32 metres / 4, 8 or 16 squared Tiles.
- Even though each Map's Tiles change their orientation and sometimes their location from trial to trial, the outer walls and thus the Map's size remain the same.
|Rank||Map||Size in square Tiles||Size in m2|
|Azarov's Resting Place|
|6||The Pale Rose||161||10,304|
|7||Ironworks of Misery||160||10,240|
|The Temple of Purgation|
|Sanctum of Wrath|
|Mount Ormond Resort|
|9||The Thompson House||152||9,728|
|Badham Preschool V|
|Badham Preschool I|
|Badham Preschool II|
|Badham Preschool III|
|13||Father Campbell's Chapel||140||8,960|
|Badham Preschool IV|
|14||The Underground Complex||138||8,832|
|Dead Dawg Saloon|
|17||Midwich Elementary School||113.5||7,264|
Realm Nature Guide
In celebration of Earth Day 2021, the Developers published a "totally accurate nature guide to The Entity's Realm":
- The average Map has a size of 154 square Tiles or 9857 m2.
- The outer walls are composed of single and double wall segments with a length of 8 metres for the single and 16 metres for the double segments.
- This allows a calculation of a Map's size, with Mother's Dwelling being the largest Map with 188 and Midwich Elementary School being the smallest Map with 113.5 square Tiles.
- Even though The Underground Complex is technically the Map covering the smallest surface area, with its numerous catwalks its actual playable surface is considerably larger and is estimated to be in the neighbourhood of ~138 square Tiles.