Power Attack Type
(Bloody Fury Attacks)
|115 % | 4.6 m/s|
|86.25 % | 3.45 m/s|
195.5 % | 7.82 m/s (Demon Dash)
|CHAPTER XIV: Cursed Legacy|
Terror Radius Music
He was introduced as the Killer of CHAPTER XIV: Cursed Legacy, a Chapter DLC released on 3 December 2019.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Lore
- 3 The Oni's Perks
- 4 Load-out
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Customisation
- 7 DLC
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
The Oni is a monstrous Killer, able to absorb the blood energy of his injured foes, and then use that energy to transform into a brutal demon. Using his power, Yamaoka's Wrath, he can rush down Survivors at great speed and deal deadly strikes with his Kanabō.
Difficulty rating: Hard
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
Honouring his family name was never enough for Kazan Yamaoka. He wanted to surpass his father's reputation and end what he saw as the thinning of samurai culture with farmers often posing as samurai. His father tried to turn Kazan's attention to more noble pursuits, but Kazan refused to heed his advice, and borrowing his father's Katana, he embarked on a dark pilgrimage to prove his worth and rid Japan of impostors. Ignoring the code that had been taught to him, Kazan killed impostors in the hills and the valleys, on the beaches and in the woodland. The killings were brutal, cruel and morbid. He humiliated farmers and warriors alike, yanking off their topknots and stripping them of their armour. His rage, bloodlust and perverse sense of honour knew no bounds. Monks believed he was possessed by something dark and otherworldly and cursed him while a noble lord began to call him 'Oni-Yamaoka,' the rageful Samurai, an insult both to Kazan and his family.
Determined to redeem his family's name, Kazan now butchered anyone who dared call him Oni-Yamaoka. The insult confused him. He had defeated the best and he had purified the samurai class by ridding the land of impostors. How could anyone refer to him as an ogre? Had it been because he had marched onto a battlefield to cut down the fiercest warriors. Had it been because he had taken a Kanabo and dashed hundreds of skulls with it? Or had it been because of his need to secure a 'trophy' from his victims. It didn't matter. Being called an ogre was more than he could bear and an ominous voice in his head urged him to strike down the lord who had desecrated his name.
As Kazan made for the lord's town, he suddenly found himself face to face with a samurai standing on a dirt road, blocking his way. Kazan readied his Kanabo. Without a word, the samurai attacked and quickly secured the upper hand. But he hesitated. With a devastating blow, Kazan crushed the samurai's head and cracked his helmet. As Kazan approached the fallen samurai, he saw his father's face and staggered back to his haunches. His father stared at Kazan with mingled shame and regret as he issued his last breath. Kazan closed his eyes and screamed in agony until he could scream no more. When he opened his eyes again... his father was gone. Not only had he killed his father, but he had allowed thieves to steal his body for armour.
Bitter, lost and disillusioned, Kazan roamed the land aimlessly with his father's voice rattling in his head, taunting him, reminding him of his failures, sending him into fits of uncontrollable black rage. One day, walking in the woods, Kazan happened upon an Oni statue. He stopped and stood motionless for a long moment. The weathered and overgrown statue seemed to be ridiculing him, accusing him of being the impostor samurai he had so desperately sought to destroy. Kazan shook the laughing voice out of his head and half remembered the lord who had ridiculed him as 'Oni-Yamaoka.
With renewed anger, Kazan journeyed to a town high up in the snowy mountains where the lord resided. A dozen samurai met Kazan at the gates of the town. A dozen samurai fell to his Kanabo. His speed and strength were unmatched. His rage was incomprehensible. Covered in blood and gore, Kazan battled through the town and soon found the lord hiding in a villa. He dragged him out of a cabinet, sliced his tendons to immobilise him and watched him beg and squirm like a dog. Without hesitation, he thrust his fist into the lord’s mouth and yanked out the wicked tongue that had desecrated his name.
Satisfied, Kazan exited the villa to find himself surrounded by dozens of farmers wielding rusted scythes, sharp pitchforks, and heavy clubs. He survived the first few assaults, but there were too many attackers coming from every direction. Within moments Kazan was on the ground staring at a cold, indifferent, darkening sky as farmers took turns stabbing and torturing the 'Oni' who had butchered their beloved lord. The frenzied mob dragged Kazan into a small stone mill to continue the torture and finally left him to die a slow, agonising death. When they returned, the mill was filled with a strange black fog and Kazan’s body and the Kanabo were nowhere to be found. It was the beginning of a dark legend about a rageful Oni haunting the town.
- This section lists Arcus entries specifically about Kazan Yamaoka.
The Oni's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Oni's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- Zanshin Tactics - Level 30
- Blood Echo - Level 35
- Nemesis - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Oni's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards.
Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability.<br>You are mentally alert and aware of key points on the battlefield.<br>The Auras of Breakable Walls, Pallets, and Windows are revealed to you within '''<span class="luaClr clr clr2" style="color: #e8c252;">24</span>'''/'''<span class="luaClr clr clr3" style="color: #199b1e;">28</span>'''/'''<span class="luaClr clr clr4" style="color: #ac3ee3;">32</span> metres'''.<br>''<span class="luaClr clr clr9" style="color: #e7cda2;">"Within your enemy's strength is weakness." — Renjiro's Doctrine 12:5</span>''
The agony of one is inflicted onto others.<br>When hooking a Survivor, all other Survivors suffer from the '''''Haemorrhage''''' '''Status Effect''' until healed and the '''''Exhausted''''' '''Status Effect''' for '''<span class="luaClr clr clr2" style="color: #e8c252;">45 seconds</span>'''.<br>''Blood Echo'' can only be triggered once every '''<span class="luaClr clr clr2" style="color: #e8c252;">80</span>'''/'''<span class="luaClr clr clr3" style="color: #199b1e;">70</span>'''/'''<span class="luaClr clr clr4" style="color: #ac3ee3;">60</span> seconds'''.<br>''<span class="luaClr clr clr9" style="color: #e7cda2;">"Attack an enemy with precision and their allies will feel it." — Renjiro's Doctrine 6:3</span>''
The agony of one is inflicted onto others.
When hooking a Survivor , all other Survivors suffer from the Haemorrhage Status Effect until healed and the Exhausted Status Effect for 45 seconds.
Blood Echo can only be triggered once every 80/70/60 seconds.
"Attack an enemy with precision and their allies will feel it." — Renjiro's Doctrine 6:3
You seek retribution on those who have wronged you.<br>Each time a Survivor blinds you or stuns you using a Pallet or Locker, they become your new '''''Obsession''''':
* The Survivor suffers from the '''''Oblivious''''' '''Status Effect''' for '''<span class="luaClr clr clr2" style="color: #e8c252;">40</span>'''/'''<span class="luaClr clr clr3" style="color: #199b1e;">50</span>'''/'''<span class="luaClr clr clr4" style="color: #ac3ee3;">60</span> seconds''' and their Aura is revealed to you for '''<span class="luaClr clr clr2" style="color: #e8c252;">4 seconds</span>'''.<p>''You can only be '''obsessed''' with one Survivor at a time.''<br>''<span class="luaClr clr clr9" style="color: #e7cda2;">"Only a fool would spit in a demon's face and declare victory." — Renjiro's Doctrine 4:9</span>''
You seek retribution on those who have wronged you.
Each time a Survivor blinds you or stuns you using a Pallet or Locker , they become your new Obsession :
You can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
Weapon: Yamaoka Blade
A long blade that was passed down from one generation to the next.
Power: Yamaoka's Wrath
|The desire to destroy weaker bloodlines shaped into a literal force.|
Press and hold the Power button to absorb Blood Orbs in the environment and fill your Power gauge.
When your Power gauge is full, press and hold the Active Ability button to initiate Blood Fury.
SPECIAL ATTACK: Demon Strike
Press and hold the Attack button while Blood Fury is active, to perform a Demon Strike in the direction you are facing. Demon Strike has an extended Lunge range and successful hits immediately put healthy Survivors into the Dying State .
This is whenever The Oni is not in Blood Fury.
- Absorption range: 0.5 metres
- When within this range, Blood Orbs are absorbed by The Oni, filling his Power gauge.
- Attraction range: 6 metres
- When within this range, Blood Orbs start moving towards The Oni, if they are within a 45 ° cone in his Field of View.
- Attraction speed: 10 m/s
- Forced Drop range: 8 metres
- When within this range, Survivors are forced to drop Blood Orbs, if they are within a 45 ° cone in The Oni's Field of View.
- Movement speed: 3.45 m/s or 86.25 %
- Visibility range: 35 metres
- Blood Orbs are invisible to Survivors with the exception of a short glimpse upon spawning or if The Oni uses Renjiro's Bloody Glove .
- Blood Orbs are invisible to The Oni during Blood Fury and cannot be absorbed.
- Aura range: 8 metres
- If obscured by an obstacle, Blood Orbs within this range will reveal their Aura to The Oni.
- Drop rates (only applies to injured Survivors):
- Crouching: 1 Blood Orb (with a buffer of 1 second to prevent spamming)
- Interactions: 2 Blood Orbs (e.g. dropping Pallets, entering Lockers, vaulting Windows, etc.)
- Failed Skill Check: 2 Blood Orbs
- Being Hooked: 2 Blood Orbs
- Passively (over time): 2 Blood Orbs every 4 seconds.
- Unhooked Survivors have a grace period of 10 seconds before they start dropping Blood Orbs (until the Safe Unhook Score Event triggers).
- Lifetime: Unlimited (do not despawn)
- Reservoir: 100 Blood Orbs
- This refers the maximum number of Blood Orbs that can exist simultaneously in the Trial Grounds.
After reaching this number, Survivors will not spawn any additional Blood Orbs before some are absorbed.
- This refers the maximum number of Blood Orbs that can exist simultaneously in the Trial Grounds.
- Activation time: 3 seconds
- Activation Yaw scale (horizontal): 80 % (44 % with Gamepad)
- Depletion rate: -2.2 Charges per second
- This causes Blood Fury to last a maximum of 45.45 seconds.
- Time penalty when downing a Survivor: -7 seconds
- Picking up a downed Survivor will cancel Blood Fury, but conserve any remaining Charges.
- Cool-down time: 3 seconds.
- Bloody Fury will end if The Oni is stunned with a Pallet if the Power gauge is either above 99 Charges or below 5 Charges.
- This allows the Game to play the Blood-Fury-to-Idle animation.
- Charge time: 2 seconds
- Cool-down time: 1 second
- Movement speed: 7.82 m/s or 195.5 %
- Demon Dash Yaw scale (horizontal): 44 %
- Charge time: 2 seconds
- Charge threshold: 0.35 seconds
- Holding the Attack button for longer than this will initiate a Demon Strike instead of Basic Attack and vice versa.
- Attack open time: 0.5 seconds
- Attack hitting time: 0.3 seconds
- Attack cool-downs:
- Successful hit: 3 seconds
- Missed/Obstacle hit: 2 seconds
- Attack Yaw scale (horizontal): 27.5 %
- Cool-down Yaw scale (horizontal): 12 % (6.6 % with Gamepad)
- Cool-down Pitch scale (vertical): 25 % (13.75 % with Gamepad)
- Maximum Attack Yaw speed (horizontal): 300 ° per second
- This refers to the maximum speed at which The Oni can turn during a Demon Strike.
- Maximum Attack Turn angle: 90 °
- This is the maximum angle The Oni can turn to the left or right during a Demon Strike.
- Capacity: 100 Charges
- Passive gain: +0.2 Charges per second.
- This gain is capped at 98 Charges, requiring the absorption of at least one Blood Orb to fill the Power gauge.
- Active gain:
Add-ons for Yamaoka's Wrath
- Add-ons support Mouse-over functionality (desktop version only): hovering over the modifier words with your cursor will reveal the values behind them.
On mobile browsers, the values are displayed in small text after the modifier words. Desktop users experiencing issues with the mouse-over may temporarily switch to mobile view at the bottom of an Article page.
|Yakuyoke Talisman||Considering his goals pure and just, Kazan carried a trinket to ward off evil that might lead him astray.
|Rotting Rope||Had the rope been stronger it would have likely held Kazan. As it was, he escaped and butchered his captors.
"Though Death is focused, he has been known to blink." — Renjiro's Doctrine 14:5
|Cracked Sakazuki||A cup from Kazan's wedding ceremony. It never made it through the night before being damaged.
|Blackened Toenail||Fell off during one of Kazan's hundred winter treks to the temple. Despite his pilgrimage, Akito's leg would never heal.
"If a father sacrifices not for his children, then who does he father?" — Renjiro's Doctrine 11:12
|Polished Maedate||A horned crest Kazan tore from his helmet after being compared to a demon.
|Ink Lion||An ink painting that once hung in the Yamaoka Estate. Depicts the story of a lion eaten by mice.
|Chipped Saihai||A baton that belonged to Renjiro. It was stolen by Kazan upon his departure.
|Child's Wooden Sword||Akito's practice sword. The child had little use for it after his injury.
|Bloody Sash||Blood from a boy who called Kazan "The Noble Impostor". Kazan hid evidence of the fight from his father, often revelling at the sash in secret.
|Yamaoka Sashimono||The banner of the Yamaoka family, Kazan felt an overwhelming pride from it.
|Wooden Oni Mask||A mask that a young Kazan bought to celebrate Setsubun, its repulsively fanged mouth began haunting his nightmares.
"It is no coincidence that man is so familiar with demons." — Renjiro's Doctrine 3:8
|Shattered Wakizashi||The fragments of an ancestral blade, destroyed by Kazan in a fit of rage.
|Scalped Topknot||The topknot of a samurai who questioned Kazan's honour. The roots cling to a thin strip of bloody skin.
|Kanai-Anzen Talisman||A trinket given to Kazan at birth, its powers are meant to protect his family from harm.
|Tear Soaked Tenugui||The cloth that Kazan's mother cried into when he left on his pilgrimage to cleanse the samurai.
|Splintered Hull||Fragments of a ship that carried Renjiro Yamaoka. Against all odds, the legendary samurai seemed to survive.
"To plan subterfuge, begin with a counsel of none." — Renjiro's Doctrine 7:9
|Lion Fang||A tooth sold from an exotic vendor, it symbolises power and nobility.
|Akito's Crutch||The crutch used by Kazan's son after falling from a tree. Akito's playmate and her family were punished for the boy's injury.
|Renjiro's Bloody Glove||The glove Renjiro held to his sternum following the strike dealt by his son Kazan.
"When all else spills out, cling only to your honour." — Renjiro's Doctrine 14:12
|Iridescent Family Crest||A crest that denotes its owner as being a part of the Yamaoka family.
"Know who you are so you may shield your heart." — Renjiro's Doctrine 11:2
- Main article: Achievements
There is currently 2 Achievements related to The Oni.
|Adept Oni||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Oni using only his Unique Perks: Zanshin Tactics , Blood Echo & Nemesis .|
|Bloodbath||With The Oni , down 75 Survivors with Blood Fury.|
Players may customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Oni reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
The Oni's attire includes:
|Frosty Eyes||Uncommon||Heart chilling eyes of the cold blooded.
"Have a Wonderful Winter 2019-2020!" - The Dead by Daylight Team
|Winter Event 2019|
|Icon||Name||Body||Rarity||Description||Event||Exclusive to Event Participation|
|Crown of the Entity||Event||A crown emanating a festive and ominous aura created by the Entity's biggest fan.||Fourth Year Anniversary||Yes|
|5th Anniversary Crown||Event||A crown crafted for a very special anniversary.
"Thank you for supporting & inspiring us along the years!" - The Dead by Daylight Team
|Fifth Year Anniversary||Yes|
- Linked Cosmetics : click on the icon in the table below to see the individual parts of a Cosmetic Set and their descriptions.
|Runaway Warrior||Common||He set off to bring honor back to the samurai. He disappeared from home with his kanabo and his father's katana.||Ancestral Mask (Sand)
Ceremonial Armor (Bronze)
Legacy Blade (Bronze)
|Blood and Tradition||
|Defiant Warrior||Common||He set off to bring honor back to the samurai. He disappeared from home with his kanabo and his father's katana.||Ancestral Mask (Moss)
Ceremonial Armor (Aureate)
Legacy Blade (Aureate)
|Blood and Tradition||
|Purist Warrior||Common||He set off to bring honor back to the samurai. He disappeared from home with his kanabo and his father's katana.||Ancestral Mask (Violet)
Ceremonial Armor (Obsidian)
Legacy Blade (Obsidian)
|Blood and Tradition||
|Rogue Warrior||Common||Ancestral Mask (Teal)
Ceremonial Armor (Silver)
Legacy Blade (Silver)
|Blood and Tradition||
|Imprisoned Nobleman||Uncommon||He was captured by a small group of farmers posing as samurai to be presented to the region's lord, but he escaped and killed his captors.||Murderous Mask
|Captured Nobleman||Uncommon||He was captured by a small group of farmers posing as samurai to be presented to the region's lord, but he escaped and killed his captors.||Ferocious Mask
|Ensnared Nobleman||Uncommon||He was captured by a small group of farmers posing as samurai to be presented to the region's lord, but he escaped and killed his captors.||Demon Mask
|Degraded Lord||Rare||He entered the battle dressed as a lord and humiliated imposter soldiers before exiling them into a forest where he would later cut them down||Dark Grin Mask
|Humiliated Lord||Rare||He entered the battle dressed as a lord and humiliated imposter soldiers before exiling them into a forest where he would later cut them down||Green Grin Mask
|Cursed Fate||Very Rare||As stories circulated, many peasants believed him to be a literal oni. They feared that an otherworldly creature - something beyond human - was coming for them in the night.||Horned Demon
|Demonic Force||Very Rare||He grew arrogant following his recent conquests and believed that his success was destined.||Sanguinary Mask
|Ice-Cold Legacy||Very Rare||The day of Namahage was the perfect opportunity for him. Dressing as an Oni, he was welcomed into homes to admonish naughty children... but it wasn't the children he was after.||Snowy Journey
Wolfen Fur & Heavy Skulls
|The Minotaur||Ultra Rare||As memories and myths of The Entity’s victims merged in the fog, a wretched minotaur materialized, unbound from any prison maze.||One-piece Outfit||Greek Legends||
Alternate Character Models
The Oni has 1 alternate Character model available in the in-game Store:
- The Minotaur
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Oni is currently part of 2 DLCs:
- The Oni was the third Killer to have a unique Terror Radius and Chase Music.
- The Oni was the fourth Killer to be able to destroy Breakables with his Weapon, but only when Blood Fury is active.
- The Oni has the most Weapon-cleansing animations of any Killer, using a total of 4 unique animations.
- The Oni is one of the few Killers with a unique animation for destroying Breakable Walls, punching through them.
- The Oni will flick the blood off his blade in a Japanese custom called chiburui (血振るい) after injuring a Survivor.
- The Oni shares his voice-actor with The Executioner , The Twins (Victor), and partially with The Blight .
- An Oni is a demonic creature popular in Japanese folklore. The name has several meanings across Asian cultures; however, the most common ones are "spirit/soul of the dead", "evil spectre" or "ancestral spirit".
- According to some of his Add-ons, Kazan had a little son called "Akito", and his father was named "Renjiro".
- This makes him possibly the first and only killer to date have had an actual biological child prior to being taken by The Entity.
- The Oni's last name, Yamaoka, roughly translates to “Mountain Hill”.
- The Oni is Rin Yamaoka's (The Spirit's) great-great-great-great-great grandfather.
- The Developers went through several iterations of The Oni's first name before settling on Kazan: Kenji, Kazuya, Kojiro, etc.
For more go to The Oni's Gallery