(→Hook Stages: skill checks decrease in size, also clean up a broken clause.)
Tag: Visual edit: Switched
|(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)|
Revision as of 17:08, 12 June 2021
|These vicious hooks, strewn about this nightmarish world, represent the true horror of the thing that rules this place - this Entity. Killers bring their prey to the hooks to torture them before that twisted mess of claws comes down for the finishing blow. There is still a chance of escape once hung from a hook. Either by enduring excruciating pain as you twist and turn to attempt to escape with a shoulder in pieces, or sometimes you might even get help from others that also reside within this nightmare.
One of the most horrific scenes is not always to be the one on the hook, but rather a witness. To see fear as someone else struggles for freedom is something I wish I could unsee. Limbs moving in unnatural ways and also my own inside struggle. Sometimes I try to help. But many times my fear of the hooks grows too big. What is survival with blood on your hands?''
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal|
|I attempted this escape many a time, much to my own folly. It was a fool's quest that resulted in more pain than it was often worth.|
|~ Mysterious Note|
|Do not waste precious time! Find the otherssss! Quickly!
The Entity is pleased! Kill more meat!''
|~ The Voices|
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Hook Mechanics
- 3 Hook Designs
- 4 History
- 5 Change Log
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Video
Hooks are procedurally generated in every trial, thus their locations vary.
An exception to that are Hooks inside Landmarks. If they spawn there, they'll always be in the same location.
When in proximity to a Hook that has not been sabotaged or broken from an earlier sacrifice, the Killer carrying a Survivor is given the opportunity to hook that Survivor, placing them onto the Hook, this action takes 1.5 seconds.
If a Survivor is killed by the Entity on the Hook, the Killer will be unable to use the same Hook on another Survivor. The Basement Hooks are an exception to that.
Survivors are given the opportunity to unhook their dying teammate, unhooking takes 1 second to finish.
Hooked Survivors may attempt to unhook themselves from the hook, this action takes 1.5 seconds per attempt.
For Survivors, Hooks have three different stages:
|Hook Stage||Duration||Life Bar Percentage||Actions||Description|
|60 seconds||100 to 51 %||Self-Unhook Attempts||
Survivors enter this stage the first time they are hooked.
Once the life bar drains to 50 %, a Survivor will automatically enter the next Hook Stage.
|60 seconds||50 to 1 %||Struggling||
Survivors enter this stage the second time they are hooked or if their life bar drained to 50 % the first time they were hooked.
Once the life bar drains to 0 % or if a Survivor fails to give any input for 2 successive Skill Checks, they enter the next Hook Stage, completing the sacrifice.
Survivors enter this stage the third time they are hooked or if their life bar drained to 0 % the first or second time they were hooked.
Survivors with a Toolbox or just the Perk Saboteur equipped, have the opportunity to walk up to a Hook and sabotage it, breaking it temporarily in the process. This action takes 3 seconds with either option.
Killers are unable to hook a Survivor onto a sabotaged Hook, and will have to look elsewhere, potentially losing the Survivor on their shoulder if another Hook is outside of their remaining carrying range before the Survivor wiggles off.
Hook Sabotage grants 500 Bloodpoints in the Boldness Category.
The Entity auto-repairs sabotaged Hooks after 30 seconds.
- That time can be increased by Survivors using the Grip Wrench Add-on on a Toolbox.
The Basement Hooks and Event-specific Hooks cannot be sabotaged.
The Basement Hooks are a unique set of four Hooks located in the Basement that are attached to the same Hook post. They are always located in the centre of the Basement. They can't be sabotaged and also don't break upon sacrifice. This is so that in spite of all other Hooks being sabotaged, the Killer will always have an opportunity somewhere on the Map to hook a Survivor.
The Lunar Hook are a special Hook model that is featured during the recurring Lunar Events Howling Grounds and Moonrise. For every burnt Red Envelope , a Lunar Hook would spawn on the Map. Its Aura would be displayed to the Killer in a blue colour. During Howling Grounds, hooking a Survivor for the first time on such a Hook would grant the Killer one Burnt Coin , 40 of which would unlock the The Hound customisation option for The Huntress. During Moonrise, this was changed to grant points that could then incrementally be turned into a Gold Coin , a temporary currency, of which up to 9 could be exchanged for special Event cosmetic pieces.
The Grill Hook was a special Hook model that was featured during the Scorching Summer BBQ Event. For every burnt BBQ Invitation in addition to 2 default ones, a Grill Hook would spawn on the Map. Its Aura would be displayed to the Killer in a blue colour. Hooking a Survivor for the first time on such a Hook would grant the Killer one Survivor Chop , 50 of which would unlock the Pro-Pain Hammer customisation option for The Hillbilly.
The Cankerous Hook are a special Hook model that is featured during the recurring Blight Events. They are spawned naturally throughout the Trial Grounds during the Event and their number can be increased by burning Pustula Petals Offerings. A Cankerous Hook's Aura will be displayed to the Killer in an orange colour. During The Hallowed Blight, hooking a Survivor for the first time on such a Hook would fill the Killer's Nectar Vial by one sixth with Putrid Nectar, with a filled Vial granting one Putrid Serum , a temporary currency that could be used to buy the Event cosmetics from the In-Game Store. During the Withering Blight Event, this was changed to just award Bonus Bloodpoints.
In the early days of the game, each Killer had their own personal Hook Design that was used on every Map they played on.
Survivors quickly learnt that they could identify a Killer by taking a look at the design of the nearest Hook shortly after spawning. Thus Killers relying on the element of surprise were revealed too early to the Survivors and popular tactics, like to hold off on using one's Power if it made distinct noises to disguise one's identity for as long as possible, were nullified.
The Developers realised this and changed Hooks to no longer be tied to a Killer prior to the release of the Halloween Chapter. They were from then on bound to the Realm.
It can still be clearly seen that the three original Hooks were designed to have similar features to their respective Killers. Newer Hooks were designed to fit more into the general theme of their Realm.
|MacMillan Estate||Autohaven Wreckers||Coldwind Farm||Crotus Prenn Asylum||Haddonfield||Backwater Swamp|
|The Trapper's Hook: two steel bars tied together with some thick rope, reminiscent of his family's iron foundry.||The Wraith's Hook: wooden beams with bandages wound around and twigs and branches sticking out of them.||The Hillbilly's Hook: tinkered together from lots of scrap metal.||The Nurse's Hook: cast metal with intricate ornament and a broken birdcage on top of it.||The Shape's Hook: fashioned to the likes of fancy street lanterns found in the Haddonfield neighbourhood.||The Hag's Hook: a rotting, mushroom infested wooden beam with a thick wood branch attached to it with some rope.|
|Léry's Memorial Institute||Red Forest||Springwood||Winter Solstice (Event)||Gideon Meat Plant||Lunar New Year (Events)|
|The Doctor's Hook: fashioned from medical gear and machinery found throughout the medical Institute.||The Huntress' Hook: tinkered together from a couple of smaller branches, adorned with animal hide.||The Nightmare's Hook: put together from the plumbing of old-fashioned central heating units found in the Boiler Room, held together with chains.||The Winter Solstice Hook: The Trapper's Hook, hung with light ornaments in order to celebrate the Winter Event 2017. This model temporarily replaced all other Hooks on all Maps.||The Pig's Hook: a steel bar Hook adorned with many of Jigsaw's contraptions.||The Lunar Hook: a steel bar Hook with Chinese Firecrackers and decorated with Chinese symbols, celebrating the Lunar New Year. This model spawned when burning the Red Envelope Offering.|
|Scorching Summer BBQ (Event)||Yamaoka Estate||The Hallowed Blight (Event)||Ormond||Hawkins National Laboratory||Grave of Glenvale|
|The Grill Hook: a steel bar Hook hung with Grills, a little spice tray, tongs, aluminium paper and a bowl of cooking Chilli at its foot. This model spawned when burning the BBQ Invitation Offering.||The Spirit's Hook: a wooden Hook mounted atop a carved stone pillar with a Japanese-style roof perched atop it.||The Cankerous Hook: a steel bar Hook half-way engulfed by a cankerous growth and adorned with Pustula Petals. This model spawned when burning the Pustula Petals Offering.||The Legion's Hook: a miniature ski lift pylon with a yellow rubber mat surrounding the lower half.||The Demogorgon's Hook: a rat-infested Hook made from material resembling that found in the Rift Lab.||The Deathslinger's Hook: fashioned from splintered, old wood and adorned with simple mechanical contraptions.|
Original Hook Stages
For Survivors, Hooks have three different stages. Stages 1 and 2 each have a duration of 45 seconds:
|Hook Stage||Health Bar||Actions||Explanation|
|1||100 - 51 %||Escape Attempts||
A Survivor being hooked for the first time will enter Stage One. A Survivor in Stage One can be rescued by another Survivor or attempt to free themselves from the Hook.
Once the Health Bar drops to 50 %, the Survivor will enter Stage Two.
|2||50 - 1 %||Struggle Phase||
If a hooked Survivor's health bar reaches half (default 60 seconds or 3 failed escape attempts), will enter Stage Two. If they are rescued before reaching Stage Two , they will start at Stage Two the next time they are hooked. A Survivor in Stage Two, also known as "Struggle Phase", can still be rescued by another Survivor, but will have to struggle against The Entity trying to kill them.
Once the Health Bar drops to 0 % or if the Survivor stops struggling, they will enter Stage Three.
A Survivor being hooked the third time, required that they were rescued before reaching 0 % health, will enter Stage Three. This also happens if all other survivors are hooked (and no one is in stage 1), or dead. A Survivor in Stage Three gets killed by The Entity, completing the sacrifice.
- The selected Hook model is now fixed to the Realm, rather than dependent on the chosen Killer.
- This change was motivated by Survivors having been able to guess the chosen Killer by looking at the Hook, removing the surprise aspect from stealthy ones.
- Increased the Summoning Phase and Struggle Phase duration from 45 seconds each to 60 seconds each.
- Added the ability to unhook a Survivor from all possible angles, also known as "Swivel Hooks".
- Decreased the Skill Check Trigger odds when sabotaging Hooks with Saboteur from 15 % to 10.5 %.
- The number of Hooks spawning in the Trial Grounds is now fixed to the number of Map Tiles divided by 3.
- Survivors that are being unhooked or unhook themselves no longer take any damage before they regain control of their Character model.
- The Self-Unhook animation has been halved from 2.4 seconds to 1.2 seconds.
- The Hook animation has been shortened from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds.
- All Maps now feature a minimum and maximum number of Hooks able to spawn.
- The minimum spawn distance in-between Hooks is now dependent on the Map and can be affected by Offerings .
- Reduced Basement-to-next-Hook minimum distance to 16 metres and moved the reference point from the middle of the Basement to the top of the stairs.
- Vastly reduced Hook Sabotage time from 15 seconds to 3 seconds.
- Vastly reduced Automatic Hook Repair time from 180 seconds to 30 seconds.
- Removed Skill Checks from the Hook Sabotage action.
- Removed the ability for Killers to hook Survivors onto Hooks mid-sabotage.
- In case of all remaining Survivors reaching the Struggle Phase, The Entity will now instantly drain their remaining life bar and sacrifice them.
- Added additional effects for when Survivors attempt to unhook themselves, making it clearer that this is potentially hurtful and will accelerate the sacrifice process.
- Reworked the Struggle Phase from mashing buttons/keys to now continuously trigger Skill Checks (akin to Cages of Atonement ).
- Failing to give input for 2 successive Skill Checks will instantly complete the sacrifice.
- Missing a Skill Check will decrease the remaining life bar.
- Hooks were also referred to as "Meathooks".
- The Hooks mechanic was inspired by a scene in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where Leatherface (or The Cannibal) catches Pam and puts her on a Meathook.
- There's an unreleased Hook model named Deer Hanger in the Game files. It is stored in a folder titled Improvised Hooks. It is possible that Killers might have been able to fashion their own Hook from scrap materials at one point during Development, in cases of Survivors having sabotaged all other Hooks.
- Early on in the Game's life, hooked Survivors had established a way to communicate a Killer's proximity to the other Survivors:
- Hanging still from the Hook meant something along the lines of: "The Killer is far enough away from me or preoccupied with something else, you can come and rescue me now!"
- Spamming the self-unhook animation meant something along the lines of: "The Killer is nearby, patrolling the Hook or camping it. It is not safe to attempt a rescue, stay away and let me hang!"
- This was jokingly referred to as "Hook Gymnastics".
- Many newer Survivors believed that the Hook Gymnastics worked the other way round and signalled a camping Killer by hanging still and struggled once the Killer was away.
- This issue propagates to present-day Dead by Daylight, with most Veteran Players sticking to the original Hook Gymnastics, leading to miscommunication with newer Players, due to the general consensus having been lost.
Each Map has a minimum and maximum amount of Hooks that may spawn on it:
- Hooks must have a minimal spawn distance in-between each other unless the minimum amount of spawns is not reached, then they may spawn closer together.
- This minimal spawn distance may be affected by Offerings .
|The Outline of the Hook Asset|
|Alarm Clocks||Bear Traps||Breakable Walls||Cages of Atonement|
|Chests||Crows||Dark Mist||Exit Gates|
|Lockers||Moonlight||Pallets||Pools of Devotion|