|The Ghost Face|
|Danny Johnson / Jed Olsen (Alias)|
|"The Ghost Face"|
Power Attack Type
|115 % | 4.6 m/s|
|90 % | 3.6 m/s (Crouch)|
|CHAPTER XII: Ghost Face®|
|Filip Ivanovic (Art Director)|
He was introduced as the Killer of CHAPTER XII: Ghost Face®, a Chapter DLC released on 18 June 2019.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Background
- 3 The Ghost Face's Perks
- 4 Load-out
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Customisation
- 7 DLC
- 8 Change Log (incomplete)
- 9 Trivia
The Ghost Face is a creepy Killer, able to stalk his victims and sneak up silently using his Power, Night Shroud. Affected Survivors will find themselves vulnerable and oblivious to his presence and must use all of their perception and awareness to protect themselves from his approach.
Difficulty rating Hard
(based on the amount of time and effort that is required to properly learn to play him and use his Power effectively)
Danny Johnson, known as Jed Olsen by some, grabbed the newspaper from the kitchen counter: it was a week old, but his face was on the front page, grainy and sunken. It was one of those muggy afternoons in Florida when heat and humidity permeated everything in the kitchen, making him sweat while standing still. He slouched in a damp chair to read. This article had better be good—his work in Roseville had been outstanding.
GHOST FACE DISAPPEARS June 18, 1993
At first glance, Jed Olsen was a modest and enthusiastic freelancer with experience in a variety of small newspapers. The staff at the Roseville Gazette appreciated how easy-going and honest he seemed, and so he was treated as a stranger for no more than five minutes into his interview:
"Jed quickly spotted the editor-in-chief in the room, gave him a wide smile and a firm handshake, and talked about good old American values. And that was it, he was in." —Ex-Contributor at the Roseville Gazette
Olsen never justified his erratic career path, which zigzagged between several small towns from Utah to Pennsylvania. There was no verification of his previous jobs. He had a decent portfolio plus a good attitude, and they needed a contributor right away.
THE ROSEVILLE MURDERS
Olsen had been working at the newspaper for five months when the Roseville Murders began: victims from young to old, stabbed to death in their homes. From the reports, the victims seemed chosen at random, yet the killer knew his way around in the houses. The multiple stab wounds indicated a personal motive. No traces of DNA were found. The local police were confounded: the murders were carried with fury akin to a crime of passion yet coldly premeditated.
The murderer also liked to stalk his targets. Two victims had reported being followed on their way home by a dark figure, a few days prior their death. The killer would follow them from Walleyes, a small bar in Northern Roseville, and snap pictures of them at home, while looking for a way in. He could watch the same victim for weeks, meticulously registering their habits and routines. When he felt the urge to kill, he'd visit the most vulnerable victim on his list, and break inside the house quietly.
The whole staff worked on the Roseville Murders story. Olsen was often sent to interview the family of victims and relay official statements from the police. Unknown to everyone at the time, his involvement added to the final body count.
THE GHOST FACE
Panic swelled in Roseville when Olsen produced footage of a hooded figure breaking into a house at night. The masked face, a white blur in the dark, stared at the camera for a second, before disappearing inside. “The Ghost Face Caught on Tape” was the resulting article, written by Olsen. He seemed proud of his work at the time, enjoying how the whole town feared his ghost stories.
Weeks later, Olsen left a note on his work desk and disappeared:
"I hope you liked my stories--I enjoyed bringing them to life. Don't worry, I'm not done." –Jed Olsen
The Roseville law enforcement still refuses to comment as Jed Olsen remains at large.
Danny smiled, ripping out the article from the newspaper. When the investigation had been pointing to him, he’d packed his bags and left Roseville swiftly.
He got up, the clammy seat pulling his skin. An oppressive humidity engulfed him as he entered the bedroom. Condensation dribbled on a small misted-up window as bits of cracked wallpaper hung limply. Its floral pattern was covered with gruesome photos and newspaper headlines. Danny pinned the week-old article on top of a picture of lacerated scalps. A faint pang of hunger hit him, and he wondered when he had eaten last. Was it this morning, while washing his knife and clothes? Or was it last night, after following that girl down the street? He couldn't remember clearly.
Taking a step back, he admired his work on the wall. His mind drifted, remembering all the articles he’d written, the stories he’d planned, and the scenes he’d brought to life.
A shiver ran through him. A chilling breeze transformed the bedroom's humidity into an opaque, freezing Fog. A woman shrieked. Dead leaves crunched under his feet. He smiled in anticipation.
The Ghost Face's Perks
These are Perks which start off only appearing in The Ghost Face's Bloodweb . After achieving Level 30, Teachable versions of these Perks can be found:
- I'm All Ears - Level 30
- Thrilling Tremors - Level 35
- Furtive Chase - Level 40
Once obtained, other Killers will be able to find The Ghost Face's Perks in their respective Bloodwebs from that point onwards.
|I'm All Ears||
Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability, sharpening your keen senses in the dark Realm of The Entity.
Any Survivor performing a rushed action within 48 metres of your location has their Aura revealed to you for 6 seconds.
I'm All Ears can only be triggered once every 60/50/40 seconds.
"There is no need to worry. I've been preparing my whole life for this. — The Ghost Face"
Your dark designs and shrewd composure rouse The Entity.
Thrilling Tremors has a cool-down of 100/80/60 seconds.
"The night assists me and it's endless here." — The Ghost Face
You become obsessed with one Survivor.
You lurk in the shadows, eliminating your victims one by one.
Each time you hook your Obsession , you gain 1 Token, up to a maximum of 2/3/4 Tokens:
You can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
"You have no idea what I have planned for you. It'll be in the news for weeks. I'll make sure of that." — The Ghost Face
Weapon: Tactical Knife
The Tactical Knife is the Primary Weapon of The Ghost Face. See how the streetlights glint on the razor-sharp edge? Anyone should feel honoured to feel it sliding through their ribcage.
Power: Night Shroud
|The Ghost Face used to study his victims for weeks, meticulously registering their habits.
When the urge to kill swelled, he'd know exactly how and where to strike.
Press the Power button to activate Night Shroud when the Power gauge is full.
The Ghost Face is granted the Undetectable Status Effect when Night Shroud is active.
Performing a Basic Attack fully depletes the Power gauge and deactivates Night Shroud.
Survivors within close proximity to The Ghost Face may attempt to reveal him by looking in his direction for 1.5 seconds.
A successful reveal fully depletes The Ghost Face's Power gauge and automatically deactivates Night Shroud for 30 seconds.
Survivors who reveal The Ghost Face have their current location indicated by Killer Instinct for 2 seconds.
SPECIAL ABILITY: Stalk
Hold down the Power button to stalk Survivors when Night Shroud is active.
Hold down the Power button when behind cover to lean out and stalk at a faster rate (x2).
Completing stalk progress on a Survivor will cause them to become Marked, applying the Exposed Status Effect for 45 seconds.
SPECIAL ABILITY: Crouch
Press the Active Ability button to crouch.
Press it again when crouched to stand.
The Ghost Face moves at a slower speed when crouched (3.6 m/s).
"Don't mind me. That's it, keep going. Perfect. That's the image I'll keep of you." — The Ghost Face
- The Ghost Face can be revealed by Survivors within a range of 32 metres him by default.
- Survivors need to see at least 20 % of The Ghost Face's body within the centre 26 % of the Player's screen for at least 1.5 seconds to reveal him.
- If The Ghost Face is being spotted, an audio cue will play to both the Killer and the Survivor who is spotting him.
- Indicators will appear on his screen pointing in the direction he is being revealed from.
- The Game has two states in regards to the detection state of Ghost Face:
- Out of Sight: no Survivor is looking at The Ghost Face.
- Discerned: a Survivor is looking at The Ghost Face.
- There is a 0.3 second buffer before the Game acknowledges either state.
- If The Ghost Face is being spotted, an audio cue will play to both the Killer and the Survivor who is spotting him.
- The Ghost Face is able to stalk Survivors from a distance of up to 40 metres away, with the same efficiency across the entire distance (20 Stalk points per second).
- While leaning around a corner, the Stalk rate is doubled (40 SP/s).
- Survivors become Marked after The Ghost Face has accumulated 100 Stalk Points from a Survivor.
- It takes by default 5 seconds to Mark a Survivor or 2.5 seconds when leaning.
- There is a delay of 2 seconds after marking a Survivor before the Stalk Points start to deplete.
- There is a delay of 1.5 seconds before Night Shroud starts recharging.
- The Ghost Face's Terror Radius fades in and out at a rate of 10 m/s when activating Night Shroud or when being revealed.
Add-ons for Night Shroud
- Add-ons support Mouse-over functionality (desktop version only): hovering over the modifier words with your cursor will reveal the values behind them.
On mobile browsers, the values are displayed in small text after the modifier words. Desktop users experiencing issues with the mouse-over may temporarily switch to mobile view at the bottom of an Article page.
|"Philly"||A stolen camera from a victim of Olsen in Philadelphia, where he worked before. The film inside captured his last night in the city.
"Gotta love Philly: keeps giving and giving and I don't wanna forget any of it". — The Ghost Face
|Walleyes Matchbook||A sheet of matches from Walleyes, a small bar in Northern Roseville. A victim's phone number is scribbled in blue. One of the incriminating pieces of evidence found.
|Headlines Cut-outs||Cut-outs of articles covering unsolved murder cases from Utah to Pennsylvania. While Ghost Face just authored some of the headlines, he committed all of the murders. Compiling your success makes you proud and boosts your confidence.
|Cheap Cologne||Dollar store cologne with a pungent scent of rubbing alcohol. Worn by The Ghost Face to make his presence known. Reserved for impromptu visits.
|Telephoto Lens||A manual focus lens to remain undetected while taking pictures from afar.
|Reusable Cinch Straps||Black straps that keep everything in place while on the prowl.
|Olsen's Journal||A spiral notebook filled with stained, handwritten entries. The journal details different equipment used to stalk victims. Going through your past methods triggers thrilling memories.
|Olsen's Address Book||Filled in blunt, blue crabbed writing. All the Roseville murder victims are listed there, along with their phone number and address.
|Marked Map||The annotated map of Northern Roseville, Florida. Each 'X' represents a victim of The Ghost Face. Mapping out your targets allows you to roam the streets undetected.
|Olsen's Wallet||Olsen's wallet holds thirty dollars in cash, a video club membership card, and a folded picture of Olsen's first Roseville victim. Carrying incriminating evidence boosts your excitement and resolve.
|Leather Knife Sheath||A quiet and flexible sheath to carry your blade. Movement is easier when things are fastened into place.
|Lasting Perfume||An overpowering musky fragrance worn by Ghost Face to announce his presence. Reserved for the victims he planned to write about.
|Knife Belt Clip||A perfect belt clip to scout carry your blade discreetly. No one knows what you are planning to do tonight.
|Chewed Pen||A blue pen with a chewed cap that holds traces of Danny's DNA. Incriminating evidence that was never found.
|Victim's Detailed Routine||A ripped page outlining the weekly routine of Olsen's first victim in Roseville. Compiling your victim's habits allows you to anticipate their movements.
"I've been watching you for a while. I wanted this to be special; the kind of headlines that people don't forget". — The Ghost Face
|Night Vision Monocular||Night vision lens enabling sharp photos even when shrouded in darkness. Ideal for discreet, impromptu visits late at night.
|Drop-Leg Knife Sheath||A sheath allowing for a full motion range: ideal to inflict quick and powerful wounds while moving freely. Stolen from a patrol officer the night Danny left Philadelphia.
"Gotta get ready like a scout — without the stupid patches. What I get is much better." — The Ghost Face
|Driver's License||A driver's license revealing Olsen's true identity: Danny Johnson.
"They all want to know who Ghost Face is. But what they should ask is, who's next." — The Ghost Face
|"Ghost Face Caught on Tape"||A tape obtained by Olsen to write an article that terrorised Roseville.
"In this footage, a dark figure is seen entering a house late at night in Northern Roseville, Florida. The police were called the next morning to report a murder in the area. Lock your doors: a Killer is in our midst, roaming freely, like a ghost in the night." — The Roseville Gazette
|Outdoor Security Camera||A small surveillance camera that filmed Ghost Face breaking into a house on Belleview Road in Northern Roseville. The camera was positioned at the perfect angle to catch a glimpse of Ghost Face without providing any real clue to the police.
"An image is worth a thousand words". — The Ghost Face
- Main article: Achievements
There is currently 2 Achievements related to The Ghost Face.
|Adept Ghost Face||Achieve a Merciless Victory with The Ghost Face using only his Unique Perks: I'm All Ears , Thrilling Tremors & Furtive Chase .|
|Totally Vulnerable||With The Ghost Face , down 50 Marked Survivors.|
Players may customise their Character by choosing one outfit style from each category. Blood-stained attire is obtained after The Ghost Face reaches Level 50 and prestiges.
The Ghost Face's attire includes:
|Monochrome Shroud||Common||Black for the night, white for the traditional shroud of death.||CHAPTER XII: Ghost Face®|
|Silvery Steel Tactical Knife||Common||The colored handle may not affect the blade, but it certainly looks sharper.||CHAPTER XII: Ghost Face®|
- Linked Cosmetics : click on the icon in the table below to see the individual parts of a Cosmetic Set and their descriptions.
|Red Hot Ghost Face||Uncommon||Temperature changes are common in hauntings. Even when the ghosts are less than supernatural?||Scorching Shroud
Molten Steel Tactical Knife
|Colors of Night||
|Frozen Ghost Face||Uncommon||Temperature changes are common in hauntings. Even when the ghosts are less than supernatural?||Icy Shroud
Cold Steel Tactical Knife
|Colors of Night||
|Viper Ghost||Very Rare||As fear spread in Roseville, university students launched a masked party to lighten the mood.||Viper Ghost Mask
|Slash Enthusiast||Very Rare||A man with murder on his mind must prepare for blood on his jacket.||Silver Ghost Face
Bone Handle Clip Point
|Raining Blood||Very Rare||A knife finds its mark. With a gasp from the victim, it sinks home, is withdrawn and the blood gushes forth.||Devil Face
Damascus Steel Clip Point Blade
|Demon Ghost Face||
|Classic Ghost Face||Very Rare||He grabbed this garb impulsively, to spice things up. He had no idea how iconic this would become for his victims||Classic Ghost Face
Classic Ghost Face Shroud
|Classic Ghost Face||
|Scorched Ghost Face||Event||A specimen who reacted strangely to the latest compounds, resulting in unexpected mutations that cannot yet be explained.||One-piece Outfit||Hallowed Curse||
- Main article: Downloadable Content
The Ghost Face is currently part of 1 DLC package:
Change Log (incomplete)
- Slightly increased the Killer Instinct base duration to 2 seconds from 1.5 seconds.
- Slightly increased the Detection area in the centre of the screen for Survivors attempting to reveal The Ghost Face by 4 % on either side of the screen (total of 8 %).
- Removed the proximity Sound that the Killer generated while in Night Shroud (only his clothes emit sound while he moves).
- Buff: updated The Ghost Face's Power with the Undetectable Status Effect.
- Quality of Life: increased the contrast of the Stalking Meter on the HUD.
- The Ghost Face was leaked in the 2.7.0 Mid-Chapter Update.
Instead of releasing the Patch, the Developers accidentally released an internal Developer Build, which already contained the upcoming Chapter.
- As soon as they realised this had happened, they forced all Players out of the regular Game and those on the Dev Build were forced to instead download the actual Mid-Chapter build.
- However, multiple screen-shots had already been taken and released, as well as video content of Streamers who had played on the Dev Build.
- Dead by Daylight's The Ghost Face is not one of the many killers who take on the alias from the Scream films, but rather an original character based on the mask the franchise used.
- This is possible due to the fact that the copyrights for the mask and the films are entirely separate due to the films having used a general purpose mask for their killers.
- Nevertheless, the way The Ghost Face wipes the blood off his weapon is quite similar to the way the original Ghostface does in the Scream franchise.
- The Ghost Face was the first Chapter Killer to come without an accompanying Survivor or Map.
- The Ghost Face was the first licensed Killer to have access to a selection of Customisation options in the Store .
- The Ghost Face was the seventh Killer added to Dead by Daylight wearing a mask.
- Instead of climbing over vaults, The Ghost Face hoists himself through them.
- The Ghost Face was the first Killer to have a unique running animation when in a Chase.
- When The Ghost Face was leaked, he had a different Memento Mori animation, using a mobile phone to snap a picture instead of a digital camera.
- The Ghost Face was the second Killer to be able to crouch.
- Despite this, The Ghost Face is the only Killer to date to be able to crouch as freely as Survivors and as an innate ability with no connection to his Power.
- The Ghost Face is the Character with the most in-game quotes by himself, with eight in total.
- The Ghost Face's real name, as well as Roseville, the town of his first killings, are potentially inspired by "Danny Rolling", a serial killer who murdered five students within four days in "Gainesville".
- He was Wes Craven's inspiration when creating the character Ghostface for the Scream movies.
- Further strengthening this likely source of inspiration is the fact that the Viper Ghost Outfit description states that The Ghost Face had attended a masked party thrown by Roseville University students.
- The Ghost Face's flying straps attached to his outfit represent his connection to The Entity , according to the Developers.
- In one of the Developer's streams, The Ghost Face was described as "a bit narcissistic".
+ CHAPTER I
|Dwight Fairfield||Meg Thomas||Claudette Morel||Jake Park||Nea Karlsson|
|CHAPTERS II - V
+ PARAGRAPH I
|Laurie Strode||Ace Visconti||Bill Overbeck||Feng Min||David King|
|CHAPTERS VI - X||Quentin Smith||David Tapp||Kate Denson||Adam Francis||Jeff Johansen|
|CHAPTERS XI - XIV
+ PARAGRAPH III
|Jane Romero||Ash Williams||Nancy Wheeler||Steve Harrington||Yui Kimura|
|CHAPTERS XV - XIX||Zarina Kassir||Cheryl Mason||Felix Richter||Élodie Rakoto||Yun-Jin Lee|
|CHAPTER XX||Jill Valentine||Leon Scott Kennedy|
+ CHAPTERS I - II
|Evan MacMillan - The Trapper||Philip Ojomo - The Wraith||Max Thompson Jr. - The Hillbilly||Sally Smithson - The Nurse||Michael Myers - The Shape|
|CHAPTERS III - VI
+ PARAGRAPH II
|Lisa Sherwood - The Hag||Herman Carter - The Doctor||Anna - The Huntress||Bubba Sawyer - The Cannibal||Freddy Krueger - The Nightmare|
|CHAPTERS VII - XI||Amanda Young - The Pig||Jeffrey Hawk - The Clown||Rin Yamaoka - The Spirit||Frank, Julie, Susie, Joey - The Legion||Adiris - The Plague|
|CHAPTERS XII - XV||Danny Johnson - The Ghost Face||The Demogorgon||Kazan Yamaoka - The Oni||Caleb Quinn - The Deathslinger||Pyramid Head - The Executioner|
|CHAPTERS XVI - XX||Talbot Grimes - The Blight||Victor & Charlotte Deshayes - The Twins||Ji-Woon Hak - The Trickster||Nemesis T-Type - The Nemesis|
|Chris Redfield||Claire Redfield||Cybil Bennett||Jonathan Byers||Lisa Garland||The Look-See|
|ULTRA RARE CHARACTERS|
|The Krampus||The Minotaur|
|Alessa Gillespie||The Birch|
|Alex||Benedict Baker||The Entity||The Observer||Vigo||and many more...|
|The Smasher||The Teacher|