In Dead by Daylight , there are two distinct roles to play and multiple Characters in each role to choose from.
Every Character comes with its own play style, progression path, Load-out and customisation options which fit your tastes. Feel free to experiment!
- Main article: Survivors
- Main article: Killers
Legendary Characters are Cosmetic Sets of Legendary Rarity, which transform a Character into a completely different one, altering their entire Character model.
These Characters are generally legends of the horror genre and typically from other video games, from movies, shows, etc.
Mythological Characters are Cosmetic Sets of Ultra Rare Rarity, which transform a Character into a completely different one, altering their entire Character model.
Unlike Legendary Characters, these new Character models are not inspired by other legends of the horror genre, but originate in mythology or folklore instead.
Mythological Characters generally come with their own unique voice-lines and themes; however, this is currently only true for The Baba Yaga, as other Characters were introduced before this change.
Costume Characters are Cosmetic Sets of either Ultra Rare or Very Rare Rarity.
They are a mix of characteristics from Legendary Characters and Mythological Characters in that they are inspired either by other legends of the horror genre or mythology/folklore, or not at all, but do not alter the Character model.
They are akin to the Character donning a costume of another Character.
Ultra Rare Costumes, compared to just Very Rare ones, generally come with extras, such as new voice-lines, special sound effects, or special visual effects, justifying their higher price and rarity.
- Main article: Lore Characters
Lore Characters are non-playable Characters that only exists in Dead by Daylight's Lore.
They can be mentioned in the Lore of Survivors or Killers, the descriptions and/or flavour texts of various Unlockables, and the Lore accompanying Tomes.
Unused Characters are known playable Characters that only existed in developmental stages of Dead by Daylight and are currently not featured in the Game aside from at most some assets.
Unused Alpha Survivors
These are the Survivors featured in original promotional material and Artwork for Dead by Daylight prior to its release in June 2016, as well as in the original Trailer.
It should be noted that they are ALPHA versions of the same four Survivors that released with the original Game, Dwight, Meg, Claudette, and Jake.
This is evidenced by the voice actors and early concept art:
In order of appearance:
- ALPHA Meg Thomas
- ALPHA Jake Park
- ALPHA Claudette Morel
- ALPHA Dwight Fairfield (only in promotional Artwork)
It is worthy to note here that during ALPHA stages of Dead by Daylight, Meg and Claudette had switched ethnicities (and voice-actresses) compared to the BETA and subsequent release versions.
This can be seen in the original Trailer and in a screenshot in Claudette's Gallery.
- On the Wiki, the playable Characters are always ordered in order of release.
- In-game, the playable Characters are also ordered in order of release, but are additionally divided into 2 groups:
- All free (DLC) Characters in order of release are followed by all paid DLC Characters in order of release.
- The divider between the two groups are the Characters of CHAPTER 5: A Lullaby for the Dark, which was the last free DLC on the PC build.
- This is why, when the Public Test Build of a new Chapter is released, its Characters are placed in the last spot of the first group of free Characters, following The Huntress and David King respectively, as the new Characters are considered free Characters on the PTB so that Players can test them.
- With the Chapter's release, they are then put into the last spot of the second group of paid DLC Characters.
- Patch 1.5.0 added a new feature called Character Info, which can be brought up with F1 (PC) or D-Pad Right (PS4 and Xbox 1), giving an overview of a Character, including their Lore and unlocked Teachable Perks.